Sunday, May 6, 2012

Baby Donuts :)


For Christmas, Carys got me a BabyCakes Donut Maker. If you haven't heard of them, you need to look into it! I LOVE THEM! If you want to, click here.

I hadn't used it until just recently. The first BabyCakes machine I got was the mini-cupcake maker. It's fantastic! I can make mini-cupcakes, tartlets, mini pies, quiche; SO MUCH! We had used the cupcake maker a few times, but I think its time to do more..

So, three weeks ago or so, it was my turn to do Activity Days. I decided on the spur of the moment we were going to make baby donuts. I hurry and grabbed the recipe book it comes with, and found the only one that listed all the ingredients I currently had in my pantry. Chocolate it was. For frosting, I didn't really want to make homemade, so I used pre-made frosting in a container you find on the baking isle. The only two flavors I had were caramel and butter pecan. I didn't really think the kids would enjoy butter pecan, so caramel it was!

They turned out fantastic! This first picture is the first batch I made. It is a chocolate donut with caramel frosting and powdered sugar on top. I just threw the frosting in the microwave for 30 seconds to soften it up, dumped it in a bowl, and then dipped the cooled down donuts into them. They were so delicious!


So now the challenge was on. The next shopping trip for bi-monthly groceries, I had one thing on my mind. Buttermilk.  Buttermilk spice donuts looked the most appealing.  I found all the ingredients necessary and was so excited to get started! I went with a vanilla frosting this time, and it was just right.  My new favorite hobby was just discovered..


My next challenge - create baby donuts for a bridal shower, but make them match the theme. The brides theme for her wedding is peacocks. My objective was simply to find food coloring that was bright enough to accomplish this, without altering the flavor of the frosting. I have learned from trial and error - you can't add too much food coloring (esp red) because then it tastes waxy and awful. I was thrilled to visit my local Michael's and throw down some cash on stupidly expensive food coloring gel in the Wilton isle. It was totally work it because these little babies were fantastic!



My most recent batch was just this past weekend, for my friend Bobbi.  Her son was blessed this morning and for the lunch in afterwards, she asked if I would make some baby donuts for her. Since I absolutely love making them, I said YES!!! So, the buttermilk spice donuts with vanilla frosting and blue sugar sprinkles were created, and rumor has it, they were a hit.


I did try one other flavor of donut - Sour Cream Donuts. Good. But not my favorite. I was told that there is a strawberry lemonade recipe, so my next challenge is to try that out! Also, I recently bought the frosting where you add in the flavoring from a tiny packet. Cherry frosting.. Mmmmmmm! More to come on these for sure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey